Lesson 02: Pervasive Security
We are starting with Pervasive Security or just security.
Historically, security hasn’t been identified as a Network Design Principle and I always wondered why.
- What happens to your business if your network is compromised?
- What happens to your business if the integrity of your data is compromised?
Super simple questions, with very impactful answers:
- Business Reputation Suffers
- Customers lose trust in your business
- Business loses Money and revenue
- Business is no longer meeting Compliance standards, and can be fined or shutdown
- In extreme cases, you go out of business
Some other terms that go into this: Risk Management and Zero trust Architecture.
There are 3 security models that you should know as a Network Designer. We have been shifting between these models over the last 20-plus years.
Security is a Network Design Principle. As you move forward both in this course and in your career, you should keep security at the top of your mind. Wherever possible, we want to include security capabilities to ensure we meet the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability requirements.
Remember to think of Business Assurance. A business cannot fulfill its goal, outcome, or mission if the business or data is compromised. This is also where you will find compliance requirements like HIPAA, NIST, and PCI. If a business is not compliant then they will be disconnected or fully brought down.
We discussed three different security models today. Of the three models, which one have you seen the most in production networks? Feel free to add comments below and discuss this lesson in the dedicated Discord server channel for this Lesson!
Click continue when you are ready to move forward. I’ll see you in the next lesson!